Pages

Saturday 14 July 2012

Clafoutis

Individual Apricot Clafoutis
 Passing somewhere Notting Hill, a window displaying full of mouth-watering food and cake made me stop in. The place - Ottonlenghi - had very little places for sitting-in, mostly take-away, so I picked up a bagful of cake.
 One of them was 'clafoutis' with which I truly fell in love. Generally, French clafoutis is a simple flan-like dessert with cherries. Well.. because of its fluid batter, it's normally baked in a pan to hold shape, which I don't find any attraction. But I found that the clafoutis I tried was like an individual soufflé without a mould, which means you can grab it up anytime without dirtying your hand. Also the thickness, which allows me to bite and, at the same time, to feel the soft texture, was just perfect for me.
 I can't keep my discovery only for me, so Chef Fran recreated it (even nicer:)), now I want to share it with everyone to let you enjoy like I did!

 You will need : (adapted from Ottonlenghi's book)

(for 6 each)

Apricot 4 each (Ottonlenghi uses plums. But personally, apricots gives the better flavour)
Eggs 3 each
Caster sugar 70g
Soft flour 70g
Vanilla extract 1 ts
Double cream 150ml
Salt a pinch
Vanilla pod 1/2
Oil a bit

   1. Preheat the oven to 170'C. Brush oil inside of the ramekins, and line the baking parchment 2cm higher than the height of ramekins.

   2. Stone apricots, and cut into 6 wedges, and place half of fruits in the bottom of ramekins.

   3. Whist yolk and half sugar until it becomes pale in colour. Fold in sifted flour, and then vanilla extract, vanilla seeds from a pod, salt and cream.

   4. Make stiff meringue with egg white and the remaining sugar. Then fold in (3) gently.

   5. Pour the batter (4) into the prepared ramekins (2) up to 3/4 of parchment, then bake it straight away for 15-20 mins. Take out quickly, then place the remaining apricots on top, and then put it back to oven. Bake for around 5 mins more until a knife inserted comes out dry.

 * Before taking out from moulds, give it time to cool down a bit in the moulds to prevent from collapse.
 ** It's not much sweet, so it can be dusted with icing sugar, or can be accompanied by ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment